Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Reverse Mission Trip?

I think Nathaniel was right when he said "We came down here to serve them, but it seems like everywhere we go we're the ones that are being served." That's not an easy thing to deal with. Whether it's at Chloe's sponsor child's house, where she got more gifts than she gave, or at my sponsor kid's who decorated her 15x15 house with balloons, gave us hats, and bought me a birthday cake...it's true. Every where we go we feel like we're the ones getting blessed. For 5 years I've heard about this whole "mutual transformation" that FH talks about. It's made sense in my mind, but this trip, more than ever before, I'm seeing first hand what it means for the community here to be changed, and for me to be changed. I know we are a blessing to the families here, I know God is using us (despite ourselves) to encourage the staff here in Sucre, but yet each night I'm overwhelmed with the idea that it's really me who gets the blessing. Writing about this seems so inadequate. If I were reading this, I'd think this was all a really neat set of ideas. I'd probably even smile, but it's still not enough. Not enough to really understand what it's like to sit in the house of someone who has nothing, but still gives from the heart. God has been good. Nobody is sick, and the team is getting along like family. Thank you for the prayers and support you've provided for this trip. We love you guys....

No comments:

Post a Comment